9/7/17

We moved to Rome, Italy!

Ideally, I'd sit and write about all that has happened since my last post in 2013, but I'll suffice to write that we have five kids and yesterday we moved to Rome, Italy! So, in the words of Sweet Georgia Brown (youtube it), "Ain't nobody got time for that"- :)

Currently, I'm alone in my new kitchen because everyone is jet-lagged and still asleep, which is well- received by me because I get a little alone time to write and reflect on the last couple days. Our lives have been very full these last few weeks and I'm all together exhausted and grateful. After packing and saying goodbyes to our dearest family and friends, we are in Rome. Honestly, the only thing I have seen is the green ivy on concrete growing outside my kitchen window. I hear the horns honk, a buzzing refrigerator, my kids talking in their sleep and my fingers typing. So far, not all that different, but in my core, adventure is beckoning and I'm eager for this first day to begin.....after I blog.

We were sent off on September 5, 2017. The Macklins, Laceys and McMinn's arrived at our house at 8pm to load our stuff, which consisted of 8 huge boxes of luggage, 8 suitcases, 8 carry-ons,  8 personal items, two pack and plays, two strollers and three carseats. We had a caravan of three vehicles, one of which pulled a trailer full of luggage. It was quite amazing and our dear friends did an amazing job of arranging our transportation. Unbelievable! I drove with Amy and Sharon in a car to the airport and it felt so normal, but I felt it all ending (at least for two years) and I don't even know how to express how something so normal was literally driving away. Each mile to the airport felt like an ending and a beginning that exemplified everything I was feeling- it's all so bittersweet.

When we arrived at the airport, we were greeted (surprised) by even more fabulous friends. Mia, Carolyn and Nancy were there to give us hugs, say goodbyes and send us off. We truly felt "sent" by all our dear friends in Portland. There were a lot of tears and hugs and promises to visit, which I will hold everyone to! After all our luggage was unloaded, which happened quite quickly and smoothly, we pulled our carry-ons down the terminal and waved goodbye one last time.

Our kids were friggin' rockstars thru the entire travel! We went through security, wheeled our luggage to the gate and eagerly waited. Honestly, I cannot even recall what the gate looked like in my head, nor do I remember boarding the plane. Weird. In any case, we boarded and had the privilege of being in business class! It was deluxe and ruined every flight that will ever be had again! We basically ate and slept our way to Frankfurt. Quincy, our 6 month-old slept the whole way!!!! Praise the Lord from whom all blessings flow! Seriously, the flight was a dream.

Sadly, it came to a screaming halt when we arrived in Frankfurt. We walked off the plane to find our gate-checked strollers would not be coming back up to the gate, rather they were checked all the way to Rome. In other words, it's good we were going to get them back in Rome, but it's very bad that we didn't have our strollers at the gate because we had three adults, five kids and essentially 16 bags of carry-on luggage. Frick! That's a lot of luggage without a stroller to wheel it on. David, Jen and I were toting kids and 16 bags of luggage through the Frankfurt airport, which proved to by quite the workout. And let's just say that Germans are not known for their hospitality or eagerness to engage. Thankfully, we confiscated a wheel chair in customs and piled luggage on it. They tried to take it from us in security, but David wrestled the lady (not really, but he would've) because he knew we wouldn't make the 1.5 miles walk thru the airport without it. (I'd also want to give a shout-out to Jen because we couldn't have done this flight without her- she's been HUGE in this transition).

Our 1.5 hour flight from Germany to Italy was easy-peasy and we were greeted at the jet-way by WFP airport attendants (they were so friendly and warm), who helped with our luggage and travel from the airport to our apartment. It was a super smooth transition. We were also greeted by Robin O'Briske, a familiar face from D.C. and from Chico, CA-- she is working at the WFP in the same office as David. I felt like crying because she was a "known" and immediately embraced us, helping us with the kids and moving us along. She also had stocked our fridge with essentials and has been such a support on this side of the world. *Sigh* Thanks, Robin and thanks, Lord!

As I wrap up for now, I hear rumblings of little people. I need to write more about the days before our departure because they were incredible, but for now I wanted to write about our safe arrival.

We're really grateful for all who helped to orchestrate such a smooth transition. You know who you are and we love you!

















4 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like an intense trip, so glad it went well. And I'm super excited to read more about your experiences there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy it went as smooth as it did! Thank you for writing the 'beginning' of this fantastic adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad it all went well. Kaia woke up and the first thing out of her mouth was "I missed the neighbors Mommy". I think it took a little while for it to set in for her. It is quiet in the hood but we are so happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad all went well. Sorry about Frankfort but sounds like you made it! Pictures of your new place soon please! Love you all so much! Have a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete